Now that the video of Rams GM Les Snead’s comments about QB Case Keenum, he didn’t imply that Keenum was going to be their starter in Week 1, but just for the start of offseason workouts.
“Case is going to come in and be our starting quarterback opening day in OTAs. He earned it,” Snead said. “We were a slumping football team at the end of last year. He comes in and wins three out of four. And basically drove us down to kick a game-winning field goal to win four straight and we missed it.”
Rams GM Les Snead made it clear on Monday at the NFL owners meeting that Case Keenum will open the season as their starting quarterback.
“Case Keenum is going to be our starter at the beginning of the season,” Snead told the NFL Network, via Erin Coscarelli.
All indications have been that Keenum will get the opportunity to be their starter in 2016. However, the question is whether they plan to bring in more competition at quarterback this summer.
As of now, they have Nick Foles and Sean Mannion on their roster to compete with Keenum, but many believe Los Angeles could consider adding another quarterback such as Robert Griffin III or a rookie at some point in the draft.
The Rams elected to use a first-round tender on Keenum a few weeks ago that will pay him $3.635M million for the 2016 season.
Keenum, 28, wound up signing on with the Texans as an undrafted free agent out of Houston back in 2013. He spent two years with the Texans before he was claimed off of waivers by the Rams.
He later returned to the Texans before being traded to the Rams for a 2016 seventh-round pick.
In 2015, Keenum appeared in six games and threw for 828 yards while completing 60.8 percent of his passes to go along with four touchdowns and an interception.