Chris Russell of ESPN 980 confirms that, barring a change, Redskins executive A.J. Smith will no longer be employed with the team.
Redskins senior executive A.J. Smith tells Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal that he was unable to work out an agreement on a new contract with the team.
“A contract could not be worked out,” Smith told Donaldson Sunday morning by phone from Indianapolis. “I was too high. They were too low. We wished each other the very best and parted ways. Just another NFL business transaction.”
According to Donaldson, Washington had been paying Smith a portion of the $2.2 million he was making as the Chargers general manager since he joined them. His current deal was set to expire on February 28, so would have had to figure something out in the next few days in order for him to be back in 2015.
Shortly after the Redskins’ season came to an end, there were reports that Smith could take on more significant role in the team’s front office, but that was before they hired Scot McCloughan as their general manager.
During McCloughan’s introductory press conference, team president Bruce Allen indicated that they would allow Smith to pursue other opportunities in the NFL, which could explain why Smith was at the Combine this week.
As of now, Smith doesn’t have any immediate plans to join another NFL, but there’s a chance this could be the end of his 30-year career in pro football.
“I’m going to take a step back and contemplate future plans with my family,” Smith said.
(H/T Hunter Jennings)