Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that former Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan is in Cleveland and in the process of finalizing an agreement with Browns to be their new offensive coordinator.
Cabot adds that although a deal isn’t done, sources have informed her that “talks are expected to go smoothly.”
- Jason La Canfora reports that “everything still in place for the Browns to hire Kyle Shanahan as their OC today.”
Shanahan has been on vacation in recent days, which has likely been the reason why a face-to-face meeting has been put off until now.
We’ll have more as the news is available.
Ian Rapoport passes along a statement from a Browns spokesmen regarding their offensive coordinator vacancy.
“Mike Pettine has not made the decision. He’s had some solid interviews but that determination has not been made.”
- Jason La Canfora reports that the Browns do not have a deal in place with Shanahan just yet, but it’s “likely” to get done soon.
- La Canfora refutes previous reports by mentioning Shanahan had a “very impressive interview” with the Browns and has been the favorite for the job all along.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Shanahan was “very blunt and honest” during his interview with the Browns, which turned them off. However, they later reconsidered him as a candidate.
- Rapoport adds that the contract is not complete and the Browns are approaching this situation with caution for the time being.
Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reports that the Cleveland Browns are hiring former Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan as their new offensive coordinator.
Reports from earlier in the week suggested that the Browns had moved on from Shanahan as an option for the job, but it’s clear that this was premature.
- Mary Kay Cabot reported earlier Saturday morning that Shanahan was still “very much in mix” for the job.
- Albert Breer mentioned that the Browns had their coaching staff studying Redskins tape.