Tom Curran of CSN New England reports that although reports from Monday mentioned that the Patriots have interest in free agent RB Maurice Jones-Drew, they have not expressed interest up to this point.
- Curran was told Monday night that no contact was made by the team.
- Armando Salguero reported Monday night that the Dolphins have not talked to Jones-Drew about a visit or possibly playing for them, let a contract.
This comes shortly after a report mentioned that the Dolphins, Jets, Patriots and Steelers all have interest in Jones-Drew.
Jones-Drew, 28, is coming off of a disappointing season for the Jaguars in which he totaled 803 yards (3.4 YPC) and five touchdowns. In 2013, he surpassed 100 yards in a game just once, but it is worth mentioning that the Jaguars offense has a whole was pretty bad, and a combination of Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne at quarterback wasn’t exactly doing him any favors by keeping defenders out of the box.
Pro Football Focus actually had him rated as an above average running back last season, but his rating was propped up by his blocking ability.
We have him listed as the No. 16 best available player in our Top 50 Free Agents list.
- Mehta adds that these teams are expected to meet with Jones-Drew at league meetings this week.
- According to Mehta’s sources, Jets GM John Idzik’s “hard-line stance” cost the Jets an opportunity to sign their “top running back target,” who later signed with an AFC team.
Jones-Drew has already visited with the Steelers who have been active in free agency for running back. This is the first we’ve seen connecting the Patriots and Dolphins to Jones-Drew, but Miami recently met with Knowshon Moreno, so they are clearly in the market for a running back.
- According to Ian Rapoport, Jones-Drew will likely take more visits.
Jones-Drew reportedly has interest from other NFL teams, but we’ve yet to hear who he’ll be visiting next.
- Breer adds that Jones-Drew could have “a home there.”
- Schefter adds that the Steelers are not the only team with interest in Jones-Drew at this point in time.
- Ian Rapoport reports that “several other teams” have interest in Jones-Drew who is trying to find the right fit.
- Walder added that the Jets don’t have running back as their top need, but with the pending legal issues for Mike Goodson, they could be looking for a complimentary back to pair with Chris Ivory.