The last 4 years in Michigan been incredible! MY TEAM, FANS & the CITY will missed more than you know! Thank You! Love Detroit! #LionBlood
— Nathaniel E Burleson (@Nate13Burleson) February 13, 2014
Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions have informed WR Nate Burleson that he will be released.
- Birkett adds that this move will free up close to $5.5 million cap space for the Lions.
- Brian McIntyre mentions that Burleson originally signed a five-year, $25 million contract with Detroit in 2010 and had renegotiated the deal three times to free up cap space.
- Tim Twentyman doesn’t expect the Lions to consider re-signing Burleson at a reduced rate as it appears the team is prepared to move on.
“It’s a hard decision for them to make, but I can’t blame them for making it,” Burleson said, per Birkett.
Burleson, 32, previously said that he was open to accepting a pay cut to be back with the Lions, but it appears as though Detroit is prepared to move on. Burleson mentioned that he intends to continue his career in the NFL.
- Birkett mentions that the Cowboys will be a popular speculative option for Burleson, but he sees the Buccaneers as another team to watch.
Last year, totaled 39 receptions for 461 yards receiving and one touchdown over the course of nine games for the Lions.