- Beason passed his physical with the Giants the this morning.
- Kimberly Jones reports that Beason will participate in the team’s walk-through tomorrow and could actually be active for Sunday’s game against the Eagles.
The Panthers receive a late-round pick in return for Beason. We’re still waiting to hear what round the pick is specifically.
Beason is still dealing with lingering issues following offseason microfracture surgery. HC Ron Rivera was unwilling to provide details regarding Beason’s role in their defense moving forward, so it makes sense that the Panthers would see what they could get in return for him in the trade market.
Beason, 28, restructured his contract back July as there was talk of him being a potential cap casualty. He’s set to make a $1 million base salary along with $2,031,250 in “per game active” roster bonuses in his contract, according to Brian McIntyre.
The Giants have been in need of help at inside linebacker for years now, so this could be a chance for him to turn his career around.
Meanwhile, Panthers HC Ron Rivera told reporters that “nothing is official. It’s in motion with NY, but until we get confirmation we can’t comment.”
Rivera didn’t say whether Beason requested a trade out of Carolina, but added that Beason wanted to be a starter.
- Jay Glazer of Fox Sports reports that “late round compensation” is being discussed in exchange for Beason.
- Glazer reports that Beason is expected to take physical with Giants tomorrow morning to complete the trade.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Beason is no guarantee to pass his physical.
Rumors first surfaced that Beason was being traded to the Giants in return for WR Hakeem Nicks, but it appears as though the deal is focused strictly on Beason.