The Baltimore Ravens officially placed former first-round pick LB Rolando McClain on the reserve-retired list for the second time in as many years on Tuesday.
Seth Wickersham of ESPN.com reports that former first-round pick LB Rolando McClain is retiring from the NFL “for good.”
“If football made me complete I would play,” McClain said in a text message to Wickersham. “But whenever I think of it my heart pulls me away from whatever reason.”
McClain, 24, was just recently reinstated last week and it appeared as though he could re-join the Ravens at some point in the next few months.
His workout for the team didn’t go all that well as he was unable to finish his conditioning test and did not participate in drills.
McClain announced his retirement last year, despite signing a one-year contract with the Ravens back in April of last year. McClain was arrested just a few weeks later and decided to walk away from the game to get his life in order.
Recent reports mentioned that McClain has gotten his life in better standing was looking to return to the NFL, but it appears as though he has come to realization that it’s time to move on.
“Now I know God has something else planned for me and that my life is bigger than football,” he said in a text.