The Seattle Seahawks announced a number of coaching changes on Monday including promoting defensive backs coach Kris Richard to defensive coordinator.
- Micheal Barrow hired as LB coach.
- Lofa Tatupu hired as assistant LB coach.
- Brennan Carroll assistant offensive line coach
Alex Rozier is reporting that the Seahawks are, in fact, promoting defensive backs coach Kris Richard to defensive coordinator.
- Rozier adds that HC Pete Carroll told the team about Richard’s hire after Ken Norton reached an agreement to be the Raiders defensive coordinator.
- Seattle is expected to announce the move at some point in the near future.
This comes as no surprise, seeing as numerous reports have said that Richard was likely to replace Dan Quinn once he officially took the Falcons head coaching job.
Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported Thursday that Quinn tried to convince Richard to come with him to Atlanta, but Richard has elected to remain with the Seahawks.
It’s probably a good move for Richard given that a few Seahawks coordinators have gone to take head-coaching jobs in recent years. On top of that, he be in charge of the one of the best defensive units in the NFL.
If Richard can continue to build on Seattle’s defensive success, it wouldn’t be surprising to see his name surface as a head-coaching candidate in a few years.
We’ll have more updates regarding Richard and Seahawks as the news is available.