Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets have expressed interest in free agent WR Stevie Johnson, but he has reportedly narrowed his choices to the Patriots and Chargers.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk is also reporting that the Jets showed interest in Johnson, and they even received received “heavy consideration.”
- However Florio confirms that Johnson is down to either the Chargers or the Patriots and intends to make a decision by Tuesday morning.
According to Dianna Marie Russini, former 49ers WR Stevie Johnson has left his visit with the Patriots without an agreement on a contract.
- Mike Garafolo mentions that the Chargers are still in play for Johnson.
- Garafolo adds that the 49ers appear to be moving on from Johnson, even though there was talk that he could return to San Francisco, depending on how things went on the open market.
Dianna Marie Russini reports that it’s “very likely” WR Stevie Johnson will be signing with with the New England Patriots.
- In fact, Russini adds that a deal could be done as soon as today.
- Russini reported over the weekend that the Patriots were hosting Johnson for a visit on Monday.
He previously met with the San Diego Chargers on Friday, but these are his only two visits since he was cut loose by the 49ers last weekend.
Johnson, 28, was released by the 49ers in a move that freed up $6,025,000 in available cap space for San Francisco.
In 2014, Johnson appeared in 13 games and caught 35 passes for 435 yards receiving and three touchdowns for the 49ers. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 22 receiver out of 110 qualifying players, which is pretty good considering that he only played 305 snaps.
We’ll have more regarding Johnson as the news is available.