Johnson, 27, appeared in 15 games for the Bengals last year and totaled 56 tackles, 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. Pro Football Focus had him rated as the No. 4 defensive end in a 4-3 scheme.
We have Johnson listed as the No. 2 player in our Top 50 Free Agents list.
- Jason La Canfora reports that “when the Michael Johnson signing with the Buccaneers becomes official,” he is expected to receive $8.5 million per and “around” $24 million guaranteed.
- Alex Marvez reports that there is an “extremely strong possibility” that the Bucs will sign Johnson.
The recent buzz surround the Bucs and Johnson makes it seem like a deal could be in place later today.
- Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune previously reported that the Buccaneers and new HC Lovie Smith were making a “hard push” to sign Johnson.
Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that the Buccaneers and new HC Lovie Smith are making a “hard push” to sign Bengals DE Michael Johnson.
- Biggs adds that Smith’s first order of busy in Tampa Bay is to add a defensive end.
- Jeff Dickerson of ESPN Chicago reports that the Bears also reached out to Johnson on Saturday.
- Ian Rapoport adds that the Bengals are still in the mix for Johnson as well.
Ben Goessling of ESPN.com reports that the Vikings have expressed interest in Bengals’ free agent DE Michael Johnson.
- Goessling adds that sources have informed him that Johnson is “not going back to Cincy.”
- According to Goessling, seven teams have already reached out to Johnson already.