The New Orleans Saints officially released OLB Junior Galette on Monday, according to the NFL transactions release.
- The Saints also waived/injured C Michael Brewster and signed TE Kevin Brock to a contract.
“The worst call they’ve ever made,” Galette said. “It was a terrible call to kick me when I’m down.”
Galette believes the decision was HC Sean Payton‘s alone.
“Everything is Sean’s call,” Galette said. “He told me that himself. He’s the one who pulls the trigger.”
Galette says that he intends to play in 2015 and added that he’s in “the best shape of my life.”
“Who knows, maybe I’ll get 40 sacks the next two years and we’ll reunite,” Galette said. “The business is the business, you know?”
- According to Rapoport, the NFL is looking into Galette’s off-the-field incidents and even met with him in recent days.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Galette still must take and pass physical with team this weekend. Once he passes, he will be released.
- Lyons Yellin reports that the Saints had been mulling over the possibility of releasing Galette, as well as other options, since a video surfaced that appeared to show him assaulting a woman.
He was also involved in a domestic-violence incident back in January, but the charges against him were later dropped.
Galette got some good news not too long ago that he wouldn’t need to undergo pectoral surgery, and will instead require just rest and rehab. However, reports have said that the Saints have been tired of his act for some time now.
Galette, 27, signed a six-year, $45.3 million contract that included $23 million guaranteed with the Saints back in September of last year, so this is still somewhat surprising.
New Orleans reworked his contract back in Mach and gave him a $12.5 million signing bonus in the process.
Albert Breer points out that Galette’s $1.25 million base salary for the 2015 season is guaranteed.
In 2014, Galette appeared in all 16 games for the Saints and recorded 45 tackles, 10 sacks, three forced fumbles, two safeties and two pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 4 defensive end in a 4-3 defense out of 59 qualifying players.