Here’s a simple look at how Terrell Suggs‘ new contract extension stacks up with some of the recent deals signed by veteran defensive ends and edge players in the past year.
- Terrell Suggs (31): five years, $28.5M total, $16M guaranteed.
- Osi Umenyiora (31): two years, $8.5M total, $5M guaranteed.
- Dwight Freeney (33): two years, $8.75M total, $4.75M guaranteed.
- James Harrison (34): two years, $4.45M total, $1.2M guaranteed.
- John Abraham (34): two years, $4.6M total, $1M guaranteed.
- Shaun Phillips (31): one year, $1M total.
Player ages are based on how old they were at the time in which they signed their contracts.
As you can see, veteran pass-rushers haven’t fared too well on the open market, so Suggs’ agent, Joel Segal, deserves credit for getting this kind of contract for his client, despite the fact that his production has shown signs of decline and he suffered an Achilles tear in 2012.
Suggs will receive more guaranteed money than all of the other players combined over the course of the first two years.
There will be another crop of veteran pass-rusher looking for multi-year contracts this offseason including: Anthony Spencer, Justin Tuck, Jared Allen, Antonio Smith and Shaun Phillips, so it will be interesting to see if things are different for them.
We have all of these players listed in our Top 100 Free Agents list.