Multiple sources within the Cowboys’ organization tell Jason Cole of B/R that they believe veteran QB Tony Romo could retire and pursue a career in television rather than return for the 2017 season and play for another team.
Cole says that Romo still has a “strong desire” to play football. However, his injury history and the comfortable life he’s built for himself in Dallas could lead to him calling it a career.
Cole also cites a report from Mike Fisher, who previously mentioned that Romo has multiple TV offers. According to Cole, FOX could be an option for Romo, considering that they’re looking to replace John Lynch, who agreed to become the 49ers’ new general manager.
Recent reports have said that the Cowboys are likely to try to trade Romo this offseason, as opposed to releasing him outright. Although, reports have been all over the place regarding whether or not that’s realistic.
A number of teams have been tossed out as potential landing spots for Romo including the Bills, Texans and Chiefs with the Broncos possibly being an option if he released later this year.
Romo, 36, is entering the fourth year of his seven-year, $119.5 million contract that included $55 million guaranteed. He stands to make base salaries of $14 million (2017), $19.5 million (2018) and $20.5 million (2019).
According to OverTheCap.com, releasing or trading Romo would free up $5.1 million in available cap space while creating a staggering $19.6 million in dead money, which figures to be a huge consideration for the Cowboys.
The Cowboys could improve those figures to $14 million of cap savings and $10.7 million of dead money if they were to designate him as a post-June 1 release.
In 2016, Romo appeared in one game and completed three of four passing attempts for 29 yards and a touchdown for the Cowboys.
We’ll have more regarding Romo as the news is available.