Tony Romo Says He’s Received Contract Offers From Teams

     

CBS broadcaster Tony Romo tells Richard Deitsch of The Athletic that he’s received contract offers from teams to return to the NFL.

“There are legitimate contract offers and there are, “Hey, what are you thinking?” (laughs),” Romo said.

There was something earlier this season and definitely two times this offseason,” Romo added. “Usually, it is a coach that reaches out.”

Romo did, however, say that he expects to remain broadcasting NFL games for a “long time.

“I think in some ways you are always evaluating everything but at the same time, I envision probably doing this a long time,” Romo said. “It would be a shock to me for me to think, “Okay, I am done” tomorrow. At the same time, you cannot predict how life goes. But I do know I am happy, this is comfortable, and working with Jim Nantz and our team has been terrific.”

Romo retired from the NFL last year to become the lead color analyst at CBS.

Romo, 38, originally signed on with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Illinois back in 2003. He was entering the fourth year of his seven-year, $119.5 million contract that included $55 million guaranteed set to make a base salar7 of $14 million for the 2017 season when the Cowboys elected to designate him as a post-June 1 release.

Dallas tried to trade Romo to the Broncos and Texans, but no deal surfaced and they ultimately decided to take the $14 million of cap room after June 1.

For his career, Romo threw for 34,183 yards while completing 65.3 percent of his passes to go along with 248 touchdowns and 117 interceptions over the course of 13 seasons and 156 games. He was a four-time Pro Bowler.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of