Home / Broncos / Wes Welker Has No Plans To Retire Following The Season

Wes Welker Has No Plans To Retire Following The Season

In recent days, Broncos WR Wes Welker has been asked whether or not retirement could be an option for him following the Super Bowl, as he has suffered two concussions in the past year.

Despite the obvious concerns regarding Welker’s future health, he has maintained that he intends to be back with the Broncos next season.

Of course it would be a good way to end it, but I am still having fun,” Welker said on Thursday, via the National Football Post. “I am still enjoying the game. I feel good, and as long as I am out there having fun, I will continue to play.”

“I’ve definitely been blessed with 10 more years than I ever thought I would play in the NFL,” Welker said on Monday, via the Boston Herald. “I’ll just keep on playing until they tell me I can’t anymore.

Welker, 32, has one year remaining on his two-year, $12 million contract that he signed with the Broncos last year. His contract is fully guaranteed.

In his first season in Denver, Welker has totaled 73 receptions, for 778 yards and a career high 10 touchdowns.

Denver will need to decide whether or not to retain WR Eric Decker who is set to become an unrestricted free agent this March. Ensuring that Welker will be back for another year would at the very least help to mitigate the loss of Decker should he depart for a large contract.

 

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz