Most mock drafts do not include Cal LB Mychal Kendricks in the first round but Russ Lande of Sporting News suggests otherwise, ranking Kendricks behind RB David Wilson at #24 overall and insisting that Kendricks is “likely” to be selected in the first round with potential interests coming from the Patriots and Ravens. He also led all linebackers in the forty-yard dash, vertical jump, and broad jump at the combine.
Josh Norris of Rotowold even mentioned that he resembles Panthers LB Jon Beason.
Marvin Jones, WR out of Cal, received a noteworthy praise from NFL Films guru Greg Cosell when he tweeted that Jones had the widest catching radius of all WRs evaluated in the 2012 draft clasee. This is a profound assessment by Cosell that can definitely boost the stock of Jones on draft day.
Russ Lande of Sporting News recently published an article ranking Georgia CB Brandon Boykin as the third best CB in the 2012 draft class behind LSU CB Morris Claiborne and Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick. Lande also notes that Boykin’s play making ability is akin to pro bowler CB Antoine Winfield.
David Wilson is among the notable RB’s projected to be drafted in the early rounds of the 2012 draft and Russ Lande of Sporting News ranks him as the #23 overall prospect in the draft. Though his dynamic play making ability is noteworthy, Lande points out that his susceptibility to fumbling the ball is of equal significance, putting the ball on the ground seven times last year while losing four of them.
Mike Mayock Rankings
With Poe taking a huge fall in draft stock, Boise State OLB Shea McClellin takes a huge leap in the opposite direction going from 5th to 2nd best OLB in Mike Mayock’s draft positional rankings. Again, film review was the catalyst for this move as Mayock compares McClellin to LB Mike Vrabel, someone with versatility and ability to attack the quarterback.
Perhaps the biggest drop in Mayock’s draft stock comes from Memphis DT Dontari Poe, who initially made a huge splash at the combine showing off his great combination of speed, power, and athleticism. Poe put himself on the map with a remarkable workout at the combine and shot his draft stock up. After further film review and evaluation of his play on the field, Mayock asserts Poe’s tape is “very average.”
Mike Mayock of NFL Network recently updated his draft positional rankings and lists Ohio State OT Mike Adams as the #3 best offensive tackle behind USC OT Matt Kalil and Iowa OT Riley Reiff. Adams has leapfrogged Stanford OT Jonathan Martin and has gained a reputation for his big frame, large wingspan, and nimble feet.
- Wisconsin C Peter Konz will visit with the Bengals, Cowboys, Ravens and Titans (Tony Pauline)
- Alshon Jeffery will visit with the Vikings on Tuesday and Jets on Wednesday. (Gil Brandt of NFL.com)
- WR Michael Floyd has visited both the Panthers and Eagles. (Aaron Wilson)
- UCLA WR/TE Nelson Rosario will visit the Ravens tomorrow. (Tony Pauline)
- UCLA S Tony Dye will visit the Patriots tomorrow. (Tony Pauline)
- California DE Ernest Owusu is scheduled to meet with the Titans and Bengals. (Aaron Wilson)
- Texas A&M CB Lionel Smith will visit with the Cowboys, Saints, Texans and Vikings. (Aaron Wilson)
- LSU CB Ron Brooks to visit Vikings, Seahawks, Cowboys, Texans, Buccaneers, has visited Ravens. (Aaron Wilson)
- Brian Baldinger on ASU QB Brock Osweiler:
“Scratching my head. For life of me, I can’t figure out why he’s in this draft. You realize he lost his last 5 starts?” (Evan Silva)
- Brian Baldinger on South Carolina DE/OLB Melvin Ingram:
“In his career at South Carolina, never forced a fumble. That tells me he doesn’t know how to rush the QB.” (Evan Silva)
- Mike Mayock on OLB Shea McClellin:
“The more tape I watch, the more I like this kid. Put the tape on, you think Mike Vrabel. This kid makes plays.” (Evan Silva)