- Tony Pauline reports that Virginia Tech DE Dadi Nicholas had interviews with the Browns, Dolphins and Packers.
- The Jaguars, Rams and Chargers met with Pittsburgh WR Tyler Boyd.
- Pauline adds that Boyd is meeting with the 49ers this afternoon.
- According to Pauline, the Jets and Eagles are looking at Youngstown State’s Terrell Williams as a backup linebacker/core special teams player.
- Brad Briggs sees the signing of TE Zach Miller as a separate decision from trading TE Martellus Bennett.
- Briggs noted that Bennett will want a new deal wherever he goes, which means that team won’t want to give up much in the way of draft picks.
- The Bears announce they have signed LS Aaron Brewer to 1-year contract.
Instead, Whitner mentioned that he’s focused on being in the “best shape possible” for next year and helping the Browns.
“I’m not thinking about that,” Whitner told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I’m just working out, getting in the best shape possible. It’s really unfortunate that they let Karlos go. He’s a really good player. A really talented player for a long time in this league and I do believe that he’ll find work and catch on somewhere because he says he wants to win a championship.
“But I want to win a championship in Cleveland myself, so I wish him the best of luck and I’m just getting ready for the season.”
- According to Jason Cole, the Cardinals were in the market for other pass rushers such as Olivier Vernon and Bruce Irvin before they traded for Chandler Jones on Tuesday.
- Cole mentions that Arizona will likely try to sign Jones to an extension after the 2016 season, which is when Calais Campbell will come off their books.
- Cole adds that Jones could be in line for a similar contract to the massive deal signed by Vernon with the Giants last week.
- Jason Cole of B/R reports that the Patriots’ decision to trade DE Chandler Jones was due to them wanting to sign LB Jamie Collins to a contract at some point in the near future.
- Cole mentions that Collins is just one of a few players who will need to be addressed including WR Julian Edelman and LB Dont’a Hightower.
- New England reportedly wants to address Collins first because he will make just $900,000 for the 2016 season, and is more likely to agree to a new deal than Jones would have been.