- Barry Jackson says the Dolphins hope to add another defensive who’s stout against the run, at least one starting linebacker, a starting safety, and a starting cornerback through free agency and the draft.
- According to Jackson, the Dolphins will likely look to extend either DE Olivier Vernon or DE Cameron Wake and add another through free agency or the draft.
- Jackson mentions that the Dolphins are very interested in signing Rams free agent DE William Hayes.
- Should the Dolphins look to add a defensive end in the draft, Jackson lists Oregon DE DeForest Buckner and Ohio St. DE Joey Bosa as fits, should they slip to them with the eighth pick.
- In regards to the middle linebacker position, Jackson suggests Jerrell Freeman, Danny Trevathan, LB Vincent Rey and Derrick Johnson as possible fits.
- Jackson lists Bengals free agent S George Iloka and S Reggie Nelson, as well as CB Adam Jones and CB Leon Hall, as possible targets in free agency with former Bengals defensive backs coach Vance Joseph being the new Dolphins defensive coordinator.
- Should the Dolphins choose to address the secondary in the draft, Jackson believes that Florida CB Vernon Hargreaves III would be a fit with their top-10 draft pick.
Mike Florio spoke with Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell about whether requirement to spend 89 percent of the total salary cap this season, coupled with the team having the most salary cap space in the league, would cause them to be very active in free agency.
“I know there’s been a lot of numbers out there,” Caldwell said. “None of them have been accurate to be honest with you so I wish that if people are going to state the numbers that they be accurate. We’re not that much under. We have to spend maybe 94 percent of the cap to be at the minimum. We knew that going in to this, but we also know that in a year from now some of our best players in Allen Robinson, Blake Bortles, Telvin Smith, Aaron Colvin, Brandon Linder, they’re going to be up for renegotiation. So we’ll have no problem spending that money, and we’ll have until February  to do it. So I could probably buy you lunch this week and we’d be over 89 percent.”
- Jeff Zrebiec writes that the Ravens are likely to give WR Kamar Aiken to a second-round tender offer, which would allow the team to receive a second-round pick should they decline to match an offer from another team.
- Zrebiec believes it would be “surprising” if the Ravens tender free agent WR Marlon Brown or TE Chase Ford, but says it’s reasonable to assume they’ll try to re-sign Ford at a “lesser rate” given the need at tight end.
- With defensive end being one of the top needs for the Saints, Mike Triplett doesn’t expect them to spend big on any one free agent.
- However, Tripplet lists some cheaper options such as Chris Long, William Hayes, Derrick Shelby, and Adrian Clayborn who could make sense for the Saints.
- Triplett also believes that if the Saints draft a defensive end, Clemson DE Shaq Lawson, Eastern Kentucky DE Noah Spence, and Oklahoma St. DE Emmanuel Ogbah are good fits in the first round, despite Spence’s character concerns.