Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer, citing multiple team sources, reports that no decision was made regarding Marvin Lewis‘ future with the Bengals following a Monday morning meeting with owner Mike Brown.
- According to Owczarski, the two parties could wait until Tuesday to make an announcement.
- Mike Garafolo reports that Lewis communicated to his staff today, but it could still be a day or so before everything shakes out.
- Adam Schefter reports that Bengals DC Paul Guenther could be head coaching candidate in Cincinnati depending on how the Lewis situation unfolds.
A few weeks ago, reports surfaced that Lewis was planning to leave the organization after the 2017 season and will pursue opportunities elsewhere.
Lewis is currently in the final year of his contract and he had been going year to year with Cincinnati, which left open the possibility of either parting moving in a new direction at some point.
However, Lewis later said that the reports of him planning to leave the team after the season are not accurate. In fact, he actually told reporters following Sunday’s game that he would like to be back as the team’s head coach next year.
Lewis, 59, was hired as the Bengals’ head coach back in 2003 and has spent 14 seasons with the team. The expectations were for the Bengals to continue their string of playoff appearances but they’ve already clinched a losing season for the first time since 2010.
In total, the Bengals are 125-112-3 (52.7 percent) under Lewis, which includes seven trips to the postseason but no playoff wins.
We’ll have more regarding Lewis and the Bengals as the news is available.