Jason La Canfora reports Saints HC Sean Payton is still a candidate to depart. Although, the situation will take some time to clarify.
Payton is expected to conduct exit interviews and meet with players as well as executive Mickey Loomis and ownership through Tuesday of next week.
However, should the two parties decide it’s time to on, La Canfora mentions that a trade could quickly materialize. Sources have told La Canfora that a team may only need to part with a third- or fourth-round pick in return for Payton.
La Canfora expects Payton to have interest in the Chargers and Giants while the Dolphins and Colts could have interest in him.
- Adam Schefter reports that Cowboys HC Jason Garrett is expected to return to Cowboys to coach them in 2016.
- Albert Breer mentions that there could be some fencing-mending required in order for the Eagles to lure defensive coordinator Sean McDermott from the Panthers.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch will meet Monday to discuss HC Tom Coughlin’s fate.
- As of now, they have not shared their views with each other regarding Coughlin’s future with the team.
- Jason La Canfora reports that many believe that if the team did part with Coughlin it would likely signal a major change to the front office as well.
- La Canfora admits that Coughlin could opt to retire, but he has given no signals in that regard to this point.
- Should the Giants job be available, La Canfora expects it to be the most coveted in the league, as many premier candidates consider it to be ideal given the stability of ownership, the loyalty they display and the presence Eli Manning.
- Jason La Canfora reports that the Titans could end up hiring a GM before a head coach.
- Although, the team has yet to fire current GM Ruston Webster.
- One name to watch, according to La Canfora, is Texans assistant GM Brian Gaine, who is believed to be among the candidates for that position.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Titans head-coaching job should be a “prime opening.“
- The Titans are expected to consider interim HC Mike Mularkey as a legitimate candidate, according to Rapoport.