Home / 49ers / NFL Notes: 49ers, Colts, Falcons, Eagles, Texans
NFL Notes: 49ers, Colts, Falcons, Eagles, Texans
- Kevin Bowen of the Colts’ official site writes that the Colts face a number of obstacles towards re-signing impending free agent OLB Erik Walden this offseason.
- Bowen mentions that Walden, who is coming off an 11-sack season, could pursue a final payday on the open market since he is 31-years old. Additionally, Indianapolis may not be able to afford his contract if a bidding war ensues for his services.
- In the end, Bowen thinks the Colts must find young outside linebackers through the 2017 NFL Draft or free agency.
- According to Jeff McLane, the Eagles are considering the possibility of releasing C Jason Kelce this offseason. He is entering the fourth year of a seven-year, $40.11 million contract. McLane notes that Kelce carries a $6.2 million cap number this year and the Eagles would save $3.8 million in cap space and gain $2.4 million in dead money by releasing him. However, McLane writes that an argument for Kelce remaining on the roster is his one year of experience with Eagles QB Carson Wentz.
- As for internal options, McLane could see the Eagles retaining OL Stefen Wisniewski as a backup center if they decide to move on from Kelce. However, his sense is that the team will allow Wisniewski to reach free agency.
- McLane mentions that the Eagles could consider signing impending free agent LT Andrew Whitworth to a short-term deal if they move on from LT Jason Peters.
- The Atlanta Falcons announced that they’ve hired Dave Brock as an offensive assistant, Kyle Flood as the assistant offensive line coach, Bush Hamdan as the team’s quarterbacks coach, and Charlie Jackson as a defensive assistant, Justin Outten as an offensive assistant, Jess Simpson as a defensive assistant, and Charlie Weis Jr. as an offensive assistant.
- John McClain of the Houston Chronicle says there is “no chance” the Texans trade for Cowboys QB Tony Romo this offseason. Although, he could see the Texans pursuing Romo if he is released and has an interest in signing a small contract.
Tags Andrew Whitworth Bush Hamdan Carson Wentz Charlie Jackson Charlie Weis Jr. Daniel Bullocks Dave Brock Erik Walden jason peters Jess Simpson Justin Outten Kyle Flood