Browns QB Josh McCown offered his opinion during an interview with Pro Football Talk of what Johnny Manziel needs to do to get his career back on track now that he’s been released from his rookie contract.
“He has to eliminate distractions. All the things and people around him that don’t help him move forward as a quarterback, he’s got to eliminate them, get rid of them, they can’t be a part of his life anymore,” McCown said.
McCown also questioned just how much Manziel loves the game of football.
“I spent a year with him, and mentally and physically, he can do it. But he’s got to eliminate distractions and he’s got to move forward, and he’s got to ask himself, ‘Do I love the game?’” McCown said. “If ultimately, in his heart, he doesn’t love the game, he’s going to split his time between all these other things and trying to be good at football, and it’s just a hard sport to do that with.”
“It causes you to question whether or not they really love it,” McCown said of Manziel’s off-field issues. “I feel like when he was in the meeting, and he was engaged, he absolutely loved it. But it’s a 24/7 deal as a quarterback. That’s the mindset you have to have, and I think that has to improve before somebody will observe you and go, ‘Yeah, you love it.‘”
- Alabama RB Derrick Henry said that he’s had meetings with the Panthers, Cowboys and Seahawks. (NFL.com)
- Rand Getlin reports that LSU CB Rashard Robinson is “generating a ton of interest” and has visited with the Broncos and will meet with the Jets and Seahawks are next.
- UCLA RB Paul Perkins has visits lined up with the Eagles and Cowboys for next week. (Sirius XM NFL Radio)
- According to Getlin, Houston LB Elandon Roberts has (or had) workouts with the Texans and Steelers, and has a visit lined up with the Cardinals.
- Tony Pauline reports that Boise State OL Rees Odhiambo met with the Colts and Steelers yesterday and has a workout next week with the Saints to go along with official visits with the Vikings and Buccaneers.
- Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune wonders if the Bears have another roster move in mind such as a trade involving an offensive lineman now that they’ve signed Ted Larsen and Manny Ramirez in the past two days.
- Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that Cardinals DL Calais Campbell has hired a new agent, which lead to the two parties discussing a contract in the coming months.
- Somers mentions that signing Campbell to an extension would offer them some cap savings this year.