- According to Matt Miller of B/R, the video that was released of Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon last week “sent shock waves through the league.“
- A high-ranking personnel man tells Miller of Mixon: “He’s undraftable now. There is no team that can use a pick on him [in this draft].“
- A Big 12 area scout also told Miller that he expects Mixon to return to Oklahoma for the 2017 season now.
- Ian Rapoport confirms that Mixon has been advised to go back to school.
- Mixon will hold a press conference at 2pm Friday.
- Matt Miller of B/R hears that the Colts aren’t planning to make any changes to their front office or coaching staff after this season.
- Adam Schefter points out that if the Patriots end up re-signing TE Martellus Bennett after the season, Colts TE Jack Doyle would be the best available option at an important position.
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that DE DeMarcus Lawrence will not play in the final two games of the regular season. (Jon Machota)
- However, Jones did say: “It wouldn’t surprise me if [Randy Gregory] gets a lot of snaps.” (Jon Machota)
- Jones mentioned that he doesn’t think QB Tony Romo needs to play to be ready for the playoffs. (Clarence Hill Jr)
Earlier in the week, Caldwell told reporters, “I still believe in [Bortles], very much.” However, he followed that up by mentioning that whoever the team hires as their new head coach won’t have a mandate to keep Bortles in place as their quarterback moving forward.
According to Schefter, there’s more support for Bortles within the Jaguars’ organization than around the NFL. In fact, Schefter has spoken to some who have scoffed at his skills and believe Jacksonville would be better off finding another option at quarterback.
While there are some notable names to watch in free agency and the trade market, Schefter says that unless Jacksonville is able to land someone like Jimmy Garoppolo, A.J. McCarron or Mike Glennon, their best option could still be to pick up Bortles’ fifth-year option and see if they can turn him around.