- HC Jim Harbaugh referred to backup QB Blaine Gabbert as “the guy right now” for the team’s No. 2 job. (Matt Barrows)
- LB Shawn Loiseau reverted to the Colts’ injured reserve list after clearing waivers on Friday.
- TE Rob Gronkowski remains on course for Week 1, but the Patriots are not certain about his status at this point in time. (Albert Breer)
- Bill Williamson of ESPN.com believes the Raiders would be wise to lock up C Stefen Wisniewski to a long-term contract and prevent him from testing the open market next year.
- Former Rams VP of player personnel Tony Softli believes DE Michael Sam is in position to make the team’s 53-man roster if he can show some things on special teams. (Tom Pelissero)
“Michael Sam has shown enough rushing the passer — and that’s what he is, he’s a DPR, he’s a designated pass rusher — that he can get off and beat a tackle on the upfield shoulder. He can spin and come underneath,” Softli said on Thursday.
“He’s got to prove he can do it on special teams, and I think that’s going to be his (way) to make this team.”