Home Browns NFL Notes: Browns, Colts, Jets, Steelers
- The Cleveland Browns announced Wednesday that they’ve hired Sam Shade as assistant special teams coach.
- Mike Garafolo reports that Bill Parcells spoke to Ballard to sell him on Dan Campbell as a potential hire for the Colts.
- Based on his background working with quarterbacks, Garafolo says that Eagles OC Frank Reich may have the upper hand for the Colts’ job.
- According to Garafolo, former Colts president Bill Polian has been a big proponent for Reich.
- During his press conference on Wednesday, Colts GM Chris Ballard announced that they will be switching a 4-3 base defense in 2018 that will be influenced by Rod Marinelli and Lovie Smith’s schemes under new defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus. (Stephen Holder)
- Regarding Eberflus, Ballard said he was “blown away” by him.
- Although Ralph Vacchiano believes Eagles QB Nick Foles would be a good option for the Jets to consider, he does not expect Philadelphia to trade him this offseason.
- Vacchiano mentions that there are inherent risks with acquiring Foles including the fact that there’s
- “decent-sized element of the unknown” regarding his skill level, he doesn’t have a “sky-high” ceiling and he did not produce at a high level from 2013-2017.
- Additionally, the Jets would likely have to part ways with a draft pick to acquire Foles and he would require a contract extension past the 2018 season.
- Vacchiano compares Foles to the Jets’ re-signing veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2016.
- On Wednesday, Steelers president Art Rooney said that waiving OLB James Harrison was a disappointment but indicated that he was involved in the move: “We had discussions about James over the course of the season.” (Ed Bouchette)
- Rooney added that there’s blame on both sides for how things played out: “There’s probably blame on both sides of the fence.” Rooney said he wished Harrison could have ended his career with the Steelers. (Ed Bouchette)
- As for LB Ryan Shazier‘s future, Rooney said: “I expect Ryan is going to be here one way or the other and have a roll on the team one way or other in 2018.” (Ed Bouchette)
- In regards to the decision to move on from OC Todd Haley, Rooney said: “Not too much other than there are times when you make a move to make a change.” (Ed Bouchette)