An NFL Scout tells Lance Zierlein that while the majority of the focus has been on quarterbacks such as Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen, there a few names that have flown under the radar at quarterback this year.
“I think what happened is that with all the focus on the big three (Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen), quarterbacks like (Will) Grier (West Virginia), the Memphis quarterback (Riley Ferguson) and Jeremiah Briscoe (Sam Houston State) flew under the radar for a lot of scouts,” the scout said. “Grier really has scouts taking notice now. … I need to start watching him because the production has been impressive.”
As for Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph, a scout explained to Zierlein that opinions of him are really all over the place right now.
“I think if you spoke with 10 different scouts you would get at least four different opinions about him,” the scout said. “I’ve just seen too many of those system quarterbacks struggle to make it in the league so I’m hesitant to buy in. He has gotten better this year and I know some scouts who think he goes inside the first round. I probably won’t be one of them (when I set my grade for him).”
- Kelly Davis, the wife of Panthers LB Thomas Davis, told reporters last week that her husband has been “playing three or four weeks with completely broken ribs, and he’s out there still trying.” (Morgan Fogarty)
- Davis clarified on Thursday that he did have one broken rib, but he said that it has healed and won’t require treatment as of now. (Joe Person)
“I think one of the things that the Baltimore Ravens will do this draft because it is an interesting draft class coming up is to draft a young QB to put the pressure on Joe Flacco. He plays better with pressure,” Dominik said.
- Flacco is in the midst of a terribly disappointing season in which he’s averaging just 5.3 yards per attempt, which is among the worst marks ever for a Super Bowl-winning quarterback. (Dan Hanzus)
- On Thursday, Steelers DE Stephon Tuitt told James Wexell that he won’t play in Week 8’s game, due to a back injury.
- Steelers DC Keith Butler said he hopes to have Tuitt can return after their bye week. (Ray Fittipaldo)