Personal Foul Rule
Giants co-owner John Mara does not think the league will be able to implement commissioner Roger Goodell‘s idea of ejecting players who commit two personal fouls in a game.
“That has a lot of issues associated with it,” Mara said, via Judy Battista of NFL Media. “What is the list of personal fouls that will qualify for a player to be ejected? Do we want to eliminate personal fouls and just make it for unsportsmanlike conduct? What we want to avoid is a situation where a guy grabs a facemask and that’s the second personal foul and he gets ejected. Or if he is going to block a pass and he hits the quarterback’s head, and that’s the second personal foul. It gets to be a very tricky discussion, and I don’t think we’re close to a resolution.”
- California RB Daniel Lasco had a formal interview with the Broncos at some point this week, per Nicki Jhabvala.
- ESPN analyst and former NFL executive Bill Polian says “none” of the NFL Draft’s current quarterback prospects are ready to play, per Sirius XM NFL Radio.
- According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, impending free agent DE Jason Pierre-Paul‘s advisers believe their client could receive a long-term contract that pays $8 million to $10 million annually on the open market.
- However, Vacchiano doubts the Giants giving such a contract to Peirre-Paul and thinks he could eventually get a multi-year offer in free agency.
- As for another impending free agent, Vacchiano expects CB Prince Amukamara to reach free agency.
- Vacchiano does not think the Giants would trade for Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson, who had the franchise tag placed on him today.
- Vacchiano mentions finding a pass rusher as the Giants’ top priority this offseason and thinks they will be in the running for every available pass rusher.
- Vacchiano goes on to list Broncos DE Malik Jackson and Dolphins DE Olivier Vernon, who received the transition tag today, as potential targets for the Giants.
- According to Anthony Galaviz of the Fresno Bee, the Seahawks have hired Ricky Manning Jr. as an assistant defensive backs coach.
- Manning Jr.’s was a third-round pick back in 2003 by the Panthers and played with multiple teams as a cornerback until 2009. This will be his first coaching position at the NFL level.
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell (MCL/PCL) said he has been medically cleared to resume running. (F. Dale Lolley)