While there has been a lot of buzz in recent weeks about the Browns taking Wyoming QB Josh Allen No. 1 overall, Albert Breer says it’s his understanding the Cleveland has not made a final call yet.
A source who knows Browns GM John Dorsey tells Breer: “I know John likes (Sam) Darnold, and I know he likes Allen’s talent. It’ll come down to this: Who do they trust most?”
While there is support within the Browns for both Darnold and Allen, Breer has heard the team plans to discuss other quarterbacks during their meeting for the top pick in the draft.
- According to Albert Breer, the Browns have not scheduled official visits for NC State DE Bradley Chubb or Penn State RB Saquon Barkley but are comfortable with the “medical and character” of both players.
- Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick met with the Browns including ownership at the NFL Combine, but Aaron Goldhammer reports that he has not had a private workout with Cleveland or visited Berea.
- If N.C. State DE/OLB Bradley Chubb is gone by the time the Colts are on the clock at No. 6 overall and they decide to stay there, Albert Breer says that Georgia’s Roquan Smith or Virginia Tech’s Tremaine Edmunds could both be in play.
- Purdue DE/OLB Danny Ezechekwu is working out privately for the Colts on Thursday. (Aaron Wison)
- Franklin College WR Deontez Alexander is taking part in the Colts’ local prospects day. (Aaron Wilson)
- Albert Breer says he’s keeping an eye on the Ravens in regards to Louisville QB Lamar Jackson.
- Baltimore is scheduled to host Jackson for a pre-draft visit next week and Breer believes the Ravens have an offensive staff with the infrastructure to build for Jackson, given that OC Marty Mornhinweg previously built an offense for Mike Vick in Philly.
- Joe Flacco has struggled to live up to his big-money contract and Breer notes that he has a balky back and no guaranteed money left on his deal.
- Sam Houston State DL P.J. Hall is visiting the Ravens on Thursday. (Aaron Wilson)