Following the news that the Broncos have placed the franchise tag on S Justin Simmons, GM John Elway said the team still hopes to re-sign him to a long-term extension.
“We remain focused on reaching a long-term contract agreement with Justin, and he’s a big priority for us,” Elway said, via the team’s official site. “This is a placeholder in that process and our goal is the same — to make sure that Justin is a Bronco for a long time.”
- Mike Klis noted that the following Broncos players received performance bonuses for the 2019 season: T Elijah Wilkinson ($443,000), LB A.J. Johnson ($430,108), CB Davonte Harris ($310,389), CB Isaac Yiadom ($282,669), WR DaeSean Hamilton ($282,655), LB Malik Reed, RB Phillip Lindsay ($273,715), and LB Jeremiah Attaochu ($215,029).
- Troy Renck mentions on Twitter that he expects the Broncos to pursue Bears free agent LB Nick Kwiatkoski after the team re-signed ILB Danny Trevathan on Thursday night.
- Albert Breer of SI mentions that the Chargers trade for G Trai Turner could be a move to make the team more attractive to QB Tom Brady.
- Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports mentions the Chargers as a potential fit for free agent QB Tom Brady.
Chiefs S Juan Thornhill suffered a torn ACL in Week 17 of last year. However, he says he expects to be ready for the start of training camp.
“It definitely hurt me a lot,” Thornhill said, via the Kansas City Star. “I definitely wanted to be out there, especially as a rookie. That’s anyone’s dream — to play in the Super Bowl. But at the same time, I was really happy that my team got there and that we won the Super Bowl.”
“It’s going pretty good. Finally got my full range of motion,” Thornhill said of his ACL recovery. “They say I should be ready for camp. That’s always good news.”
- Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports mentions the Raiders as a potential fit for free agent WR Robby Anderson.