By most measures, Broncos G Dalton Risner had a pretty successful season after being taken in the second round by Denver last year. He started all 16 games and was named to the NFL’s all-rookie team. But Risner has his sights set higher.
“I am not proud of that honor. People bring it up, and I try not to be rude. That’s not what I am after. I want to just dominate. I thought I had a good year, but (bleep) Troy, I wasn’t All-Pro. I wasn’t in the Pro Bowl. That’s not cool with me,” Risner said via Troy Renck of Denver7. “By no means did I dominate every single game. That’s what I want to do — put guys in the ground. I want to be an All-Pro for the Broncos. I don’t want to play for anyone else. I want to be an All-Pro 10-plus years here. Some might say that’s too lofty, but that’s what I am after. I am not going to be satisfied until I am there.”
- Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline says there’s a consensus starting to build that Baylor WR Denzel Mims could be drafted much earlier than people think. Pauline adds the Broncos are among the teams high on Mims and are even as high on him as they are Alabama WR Henry Ruggs III.
- Former Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas says he plans to retire with Denver when he reaches that point. (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Mike Klis reports that the Broncos had virtual pre-draft visits with Mims and Utah DT Leki Fotu.
- Rice OT Justin Gooseberry had a virtual meeting with the Chargers. Gooseberry is seen as a late-round pick or priority undrafted free agent. (Aaron Wilson)
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer points out Chiefs HC Andy Reid has never taken a running back in the first round and has only taken one (LeSean McCoy) in the second round.
- TCU CB Jeff Gladney has had a virtual pre-draft meeting with the Chiefs. (Justin Melo)
- University of San Diego QB Reid Sinnett has had video conferences with eight teams, including the Chiefs. (Aaron Wilson)
- Raiders GM Mike Mayock said the team feels “really good about the quarterback position” with Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota. (Dan Graziano)
- Mayock added that the Raiders are very appreciative of Carr and reiterated that they are “very strong” at quarterback: “We love what we have in Derek Carr… we feel we have a very strong quarterback room.” (Paul Gutierrez)
- As for recently signed Mariota, Mayock said the quarterback still has to “get healthy” and will have to “rebuild” going forward: “[He] has to get healthy and we have to rebuild him a little bit. That’s going to take us a little while.” (Tafur)
- Regarding the Raiders’ need at cornerback, Mayock feels they have a “talented young” players that they still need to examine: “We have a bunch of talented young kids that we don’t know enough about right now.” (Tafur)
- Mayock said he won’t rush to select a cornerback in the 2020 NFL Draft and believes it would be a mistake to reach for a player based on need: “I think the biggest mistakes people make is trying to reach for need. So, the board will fall, whatever way it falls, and if we’re fortunate enough to get a corner, that would be great.” (Gutierrez)
- Mayock went on to say that the Raiders have a pressing need at receiver: “We need to get better at wideout.” (Graziano)
- Mayock explained that Gruden is “adaptable” to the types of receivers he can use in their offense: “He’s adaptable to what he has … We have had some cool conversations about how different receivers would fit.” (Tafur)
- As for recently signed S Damarious Randall, Mayock said he will compete for the starting free safety position: “We love the fact that he can drop down and cover the slot and man-to-man. But initially, we’d like to see him at free safety and I think that’s his best position.” (Tafur)
- Mayock mentioned that they believe signing DE Carl Nassib, LB Cory Littleton, LB Nick Kwiatkoski and DT Maliek Collins added four potential starters to their defense. (Jerry McDonald)
- Mayock added that Raiders TE Foster Moreau (ACL) is “ahead of schedule” with his recovery and is “pushing” to be ready for training camp. recovering from his ACL injury. (Scott Bair)
- NC State DT Larrell Murchison said he has had virtual pre-draft meetings with the Raiders. (Daniel Valente)
- TCU CB Jeff Gladney has had a virtual pre-draft meeting with the Raiders. (Justin Melo)