Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has been taking an early look at some of the top draft prospects to watch for the upcoming season and for the 2021 draft.
- Jeremiah says he’s “shocked” by the maturity in North Dakota State QB Trey Lance’s game, as you rarely see a redshirt freshman demonstrate this type of control and mastery of a system.
- Lance reminds Jeremiah of former Colts QB Andrew Luck: “I know Luck is a little bit bigger, but they are similar athletes and they both played with a maturity beyond their age at the collegiate level. I remember watching Luck run over defenders. I also remember being so impressed with his ability to execute on key plays in every game. I see the same things when I study Lance. More than anything else, these are two guys who exude confidence on the field. They are fearless, but they avoid being reckless. That’s a very delicate balance. Luck was on his way to a Hall of Fame career before shocking the football world and retiring a year ago. I don’t have quite the same grade on Lance, but he could get there with continued growth and development.”
- Jeremiah writes that Alabama RB Najee Harris has a tall and athletic build for a running back and is “smooth, fluid runner with a gliding gate.” Beyond that, Jeremiah says Harris excels in the screen game and possesses “outstanding” hands.
- Overall, Jeremiah sees Harris as a “smooth and effortless” running back, but not someone who will be a home run hitter at the next level.
- Harris reminds Jeremiah of former Bears RB Matt Forte, as they both have a similar build and running style.
Patrick Surtain II
- Jeremiah writes that Alabama CB Patrick Surtain II has an “ideal frame” for the position, as he’s tall, long and rangy. Jeremiah thinks Surtain can play in any scheme.
- The three things that stood out to Jeremiah about Surtain are his “size, instincts and ball skills.“
- Jeremiah mentions that Surtain would be a perfect fit in the Seahawks’ defensive scheme.
- As for a player comp, Jeremiah says Surtain’s size, jumping ability and consistency remind me of the Dolphins CB Byron Jones.