- According to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, the deal between the Cardinals and WR Michael Crabtree fell apart following the veteran’s workout for the team.
- Florio says Crabtree, WR Kwad Smith and WR Terrance Williams worked out for the Cardinals in what’s called a “Gong Show” tryout where the best performer is offered a contract.
- Florio explains the deal fell apart because the Cardinals offered a deal worth $2.5 million with another $2 million in incentives. Crabtree saw his market more in line with the one-year, $5 million deal Randall Cobb signed with the Cowboys, or the one-year, $4.25 million the Lions gave Danny Amendola.
- Per Florio, Crabtree could still sign, either with the Cardinals if one side relaxes their posturing, or if another team beats the Cardinals’ offer.
- Asked if Crabtree could still sign, Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury responded: “Anything can happen.” (Josh Weinfuss)
49ers CB Richard Sherman was an integral member of the historic Seahawks’ defense of the past decade, nicknamed “The Legion of Boom.” Now playing out the twilight of his career in San Francisco, Sherman says he sees a lot of similarities between the old Seattle defenses and his current unit.
“I see similarities now, obviously, with all the pass rushers we have now, all the talent we have up front,” Sherman said on NFL Network. “The linebackers are versatile. They can run, they can cover. And then in the backend, we’ve got tall, rangy corners. We’ve got Jason Verrett now, who’s very versatile. (K’Waun Williams) is a great slot, and we’ve got a hitter in the strong safety box. So I think we’re going to be similar. Obviously, it’s the scheme, schematically, it’s similar, but we’ll see. We’ve got to be consistent. We’ve had some really good days out here. You’ve got to stack them, though, as you know.”
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan says QB Jimmy Garoppolo will play in the second and third preseason games. (Eric Branch)
- Shanahan added 2018 UDFA TE Ross Dwelley has been one of the surprises of camp so far: “He’s a legitimate NFL player. He’s going to help us.” (Branch)
- The goal for 49ers S Jimmie Ward is to be ready to participate in joint practices with the Broncos on August 16-17, per Shanahan. (Nick Wagoner)
- Rams DE Justin Lawler had foot surgery on Tuesday, per HC Sean McVay. (Gary Klein)
- Rams signed P Brock Miller. (NFLTR)
- According to Ian Rapoport, Seahawks first-round DE L.J. Collier‘s sprain was unusual because it happened to the front of his foot instead of the back.
- Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner‘s lower body procedure was a platelet-rich plasma injection to his knee. (Gregg Bell)
- Seahawks signed LB Chris Worley. (NFLTR)
- Seahawks waived WR Nyqwan Murray.