- League sources tell Jason La Canfora that Jason Garrett is almost certain to be out as Cowboys head coach once Dallas’ season is over.
- La Canfora says Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been “keenly interested” in Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley and Baylor’s Matt Rhule for some time now. Both reportedly hold the Cowboys job in serious regard.
- According to La Canfora, former Panthers HC Ron Rivera is likely to be a candidate for the Cowboys’ job as well.
- League sources tell Jason La Canfora that the Giants have yet to make a formal determination on the status of HC Pat Shurmur, whose work with rookie QB Daniel Jones could end up being a deciding factor regarding whether he returns for the 2020 season.
- According to La Canfora, Giants GM Dave Gettleman’s future in New York is also in question and there could be other changes made to the front office.
- Should New York fire Shurmur, La Canfora says notable candidates including Baylor’s Matt Rhule would likely have “serious reservations” about taking the job should Gettleman remain in charge.
- La Canfora reports that there are differing opinions within the Giants’ hierarchy about how sweeping any changes should be.
- Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that Redskins owner Dan Synder is open to a wide-scale reshaping of his football operations department as part of the team’s ongoing head coaching search.
- According to La Canfora, the Redskins have “strong interest” in former Panthers HC Ron Rivera. Given that Rivera is expected to have several options, he would be hesitant to enter into any quick arrangement with Washington, according to La Canfora.
- Regarding Rivera, Jeremy Fowler reports that there’s “significant’ league buzz about him and the Redskins. Several sources have told Fowler that Rivera is considered a “prime candidate” for the job: “He’s being strongly considered.”
- La Canfora says that league sources have maintained that Snyder’s primary objective would be to find a way to acquire the rights to Steelers HC Mike Tomlin, but the odds of this happening are considered “remote at best.“
- La Canfora adds that former Bengals HC Marvin Lewis, Jets DC Gregg Williams, Buccaneers DC Todd Bowles and former OSU HC Urban Meyer are also worth watching in Washington.
- Redskins president Bruce Allen’s future in Washington remains in question and La Canfora says Snyder has done research on several personnel executives with former Texans GM Rick Smith and ESPN analyst Louis Riddick among those on his radar.
- Snyder is reportedly high on members of his offensive staff, including OC Kevin O’Connell and interim HC Bill Callahan.