Adam Schefter reports Sunday that at least five teams have expressed interest in DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, but other teams don’t believe the Dolphins will be able to recoup a first-round pick and something else for the former first-round pick.
As of now, La Canfora says that Fitzpatrick is the only Dolphins player who has requested a trade and Miami has given him permission to shop around for a deal. Several NFL executives have told La Canfora that they would not be surprised a trade was completed before Week 3.
League sources have told La Canfora that roughly 20 teams have reached out to Segal and/or the Dolphins about Fitzpatrick. Miami is reportedly looking for a first-round pick, but La Canfora says it’s possible this could change, depending on the strength of the offers.
Reports from last week mentioned that the Cowboys are among the interested teams in Fitzpatrick. However, David Moore cautioned that Dallas’ interest is more “due diligence” than an aggressive pursuit.
Multiple sources told Chris Mortensen that Miami’s asking price for Fitzpatrick is “too high” and teams initially have been resistant to the Dolphins’ apparent asking price that includes a first-round pick.
Fitzpatrick has been unhappy with his current situation for some time and the Dolphins’ coaching staff has not embraced him as the last one did.
Fitzpatrick, 22, is a former first-round pick of the Dolphins back in 2018. He’s currently int he second year of his four-year, $16,509,174 contract that included a $10,086,672 signing bonus.
Fitzpatrick is owed base salaries of $1,227,626 and $1,975,252. His contract includes a fifth-year option to be picked up for the 2022 season.
In 2019, Fitzpatrick has appeared in one game for the Dolphins and recorded six tackles and no interceptions.
We’ll have more regarding Fitzpatrick as the news is available.