A source close to Johnson tells Robinson that he has no money concerns and this comes down to him strictly determining whether he wants to continue his NFL career.
According to Robinson, a decision from Johnson is still expected to take “several” more weeks. With this in mind, Robinson adds that the Lions have to pressure him to decide before April.
- Jason La Canfora mentions that Redskins OLB Junior Galette, who recently fired his agent, and his next rep will have a major challenge this offseason.
- La Canfora points out that Galette has no leverage with the Redskins, seeing as he’s essentially a restricted free agent and Washington will have the opportunity to match an offer he receives.
- Because of this, it will be difficult for him to get an offer sheet from a prospective team, especially after he was suspended last year, according to La Canfora.
Charles Robinson spoke with evaluators from four NFL teams who believe Ole Miss DT Robert Nkemdiche is in danger of a “significant draft-day slide.”
“That’s a guy that I could see having a little bit of a plummet,” one evaluator told Robinson. “He’s not in a weak class [at defensive tackle], and there is a lot of [off-field] stuff there to get through. … He may not end up being a first-round pick.”
- Charles Robinson writes that if the Browns draft North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz at No. 2 overall, it’s possible that three quarterbacks go be taken in top-seven picks.
- Robinson spoke with a prominent long-time personnel official who mentioned that if Jared Goff was available to the Cowboys at No. 4 pick overall, it’s more likely Dallas would take him and the 49ers would follow them by selecting Memphis’ Paxton Lynch at No. 7 overall.
- Robinson has spoke to a few scouts who have labeled Ole Miss wide WR Laquon Treadwell as a “possession receiver.” In fact, Robinson adds that there’s some question about whether Treadwell can be a dominant No. 1 in the NFL or more of a quality No. 2.
- According to Robinson, this year’s class of edge rushers appears to have lost some steam at the Combine. While guys like Joey Bosa and Noah Spence has good workouts, teams are more excited about the interior defensive linemen.
- A scout for a team that isn’t in the market for a first-round defensive tackle tells Robinson that Louisville’s Sheldon Rankins could end up being the best defensive lineman taken in this draft, and a possible top-10 pick.
- Matt Miller reports that UCLA LB Myles Jack had 21 formal team interviews at the Combine with 21 formal team interviews.
- Rand Getlin reports that Oregon QB Vernon Adams had a formal interview with the Steelers.