David Canter, the agent for Chargers S Eric Weddle, tells Kevin Acee of the Union Tribune that his client plans to play out the final year of his contract and move on to a team that actually appreciates him.
“He will play his final 16 games as a Charger as a free safety – nothing else,” Canter said. “… His going above and beyond for them is why they won’t give him a contract extension.”
“It’s blatantly obvious after me asking the team time and again to extend us that Eric isn’t wanted,” Canter added. “So it’s time for Eric to move on (to) where he can win and is wanted.”
Acee writes the Chargers are basically using their overuse of Weddle against him, which Canter referred to as “disgusting.”
A team source indicated to Acee on Monday that San Diego would be inclined to try to keep Weddle in 2016.. However, they appear to be willing to hedge that Weddle’s asking price won’t go up in a competitive free agent market and he’ll still be amenable to discussing an extension next year.
Chargers HC Mike McCoy reportedly told the players to essentially move on without Weddle and players who are unhappy with their current agreements shouldn’t bail on the team.
According to Acee, this message came across to some veterans as “highly inappropriate.”
It’s really strange to see how this situation is playing out, given that the Chargers had said previously that they wanted to lock up Weddle, who has been a very committed member of the team of the course of his career.
Weddle, 30, is entering the final year of his five-year, $40 million contract that included $19 million guaranteed. He stands to make a base salary of $7.5 million for the 2015 season.
In 2014, Weddle appeared in all 16 games and recorded 114 tackles, one interception, two forced fumbles and eight pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 1 safety out of 87 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding Weddle and the Chargers as the news is available.