Jarvis Landry’s girlfriend, Estrella Cerqueira, issued a statement Monday regarding the report that he’s being investigated for battery.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 7, 2017
Dolphins HC Adam Gase confirmed Monday that they’re aware of the ongoing investigation involving WR Jarvis Landry for battery.
Andy Slater is reporting that Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry is under investigation for battery in connection with an alleged incident that took place in a Fort Lauderdale apartment earlier this year and involved his girlfriend.
According to Slater, Landry’s girlfriend has not been cooperating with authorities and Fort Lauderdale police department have since forwarded it to the Broward County State Attorney’s Office.
“The parties are involved in what has been a very civil family court case,” her attorney said. “Beyond that, we have nothing to add.”
Slater adds that no decision is expected this week regarding potential charges against Landry.
Last we heard regarding Landry, Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reported that the Dolphins would still like to sign him to an extension, even though they haven’t made him an offer as of last week.
According to Salguero, the worst-case scenario is that Landry plays out his contract this year and receives the Dolphins’ franchise tag in 2018, which would cost them around $15 million guaranteed.
Salguero says that Miami is “treading very, very, very carefully because they understand how valuable Landry is” and how much he can potentially be worth on the open market. Beyond that, the Dolphins don’t want to insult Landry with a low-ball offer out of the gate and are trying to find a good starting point for negotiations.
Landry said recently that he will not discuss a contract with the team once the regular season starts, making this an important negotiating period.
“I want to focus,” Landry said of his decision to end talks at the start of the season. “I believe that Miami is where I want to be. Miami is the place I call home. I want to be able to give my all mentally, physically and emotionally this season.
“Once the season starts I just want to put all that behind me and win the Super Bowl,” said Landry.
Landry, 24, is a former second-round pick of the Dolphins back in 2014. He’s entering the final year of his four-year, $3.5 million contract and stands to make a base salary of $893,852 for the 2017 season.
In 2016, Landry appeared in all 16 games for the Dolphins and caught 94 passes for 1,136 yards receiving and four touchdowns. He also contributed 163 kick return yards. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 9 receiver out of 115 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding a new deal for Landry as the news is available.