NFL Network’s Mike Mayock hosted his pre-combine conference call Monday. Here’s a collection of notes regarding draft prospects and NFL teams.
- In terms of the depth of this draft, Mayock sees a lot of depth at running back and wide receiver, while there is likely to be very limited options at quarterback and safety. (Aaron Wilson)
- Mayock ranks West Virginia WR Kevin White as his No. 1 receiver ahead of Alabama WR Amari Cooper. (Aaron Wilson)
- However, Mayock did say that Cooper has the “highest floor” and considers him to be the safest pick among receivers. (Chase Goodbread)
- Mayock can see receivers Cooper,White, and Parker all being top-20 picks. (Chase Goodbread)
- According to Mayock, UCF WR Breshad Perriman also has first-round talent. (Bryan Fischer)
- Mayock compared Florida’s Dante Fowler to Chiefs OLB Justin Houston. (Bryan Fischer)
- Mayock projects Washington’s Shaq Thompson as a safety, and ranks him No. 2 behind Alabama S Landon Collins. (Aaron Wilson)
- Mayock has Iowa’s Brandon Scherff rated as his top offensive linemen, but projects him to be a guard. (Aaron Wilson)
- Mayock said TCU LB Paul Dawson is a “poor man’s Lavonte David.” (Matthew Fairburn)
- Mayock says that Texas DT Malcom Brown is a “first round guy all day long.” (Bryan Fischer)
- Mayock referred to LSU’s La’El Collins the best right tackle prospect in the 2015 NFL Draft. (Bryan Fischer)
- Mayock compares Duke OL Laken Tomlinson to Lions G Larry Warford. (Chase Goodbread)
- According to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net, Florida OT D.J. Humphries could easily move up draft boards, possibly into round two, with a strong combine performance.
- Some scouts have referred to Utah OT Jeremiah Poutasi as “Mike Iupati Jr.“
- Pauline’s sources tell him that the first-round grade being mentioned for Pittsburgh OT T.J. Clemmings were “unwarranted and set up unreasonable expectations at the Senior Bowl” and he may need both a solid combine performance and Pro Day to come off the board in round one.
- Colorado State OT Tyler Sambrailo has reportedly garnered interest from the Seahawks and Packers.
Mike Mayock doesn’t envy the Buccaneers’ decision at No. 1 overall between quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. (Aaron Wilson)
Mayock said he’s worried about Winston “being the face of your franchise” due to off-field issues, but doesn’t have the same concerns with Mariota. (Aaron Wilson)
“Can he be the face of the franchise? He was face of the FSU franchise and that didn’t stop him making bad decisions,” Mayock said. (Bryan Fischer)
“Both quarterbacks have question marks,” said Mayock, who believes the Buccaneers will ultimately go with quarterback, most likely Winston. (Aaron Wilson)
- Mayock believes that the Raiders should consider getting Derek Carr a better weapon withe No. 4 overall pick and suggested that they could take a look at WRs Kevin White, Amari Cooper or DeVante Parker. (Bryan Fischer)
- Mayock sees receiver as the Ravens’ top area of need and the most logical position for Baltimore to target in the first round. (Aaron Wilson)
- Other needs for the Ravens, according to Mayock include cornerback and edge pass rusher. (Aaron Wilson)