Mike Florio, citing a source with knowledge of the situation, reports that DL Calais Campbell did not have an agreement in principle with the Jaguars right before the start of free agency, which had been reported by a few outlets.
It wasn’t long after these reports surfaced that the story changed and Campbell was now seriously considering an offer from the Broncos. A source explained to Florio that reported deal with the Jaguars “was not even close to being done” at the time and Campbell was still considering offers from the Jaguars, Broncos and Redskins at the time.
Of course, Campbell ultimately agreed to a massive four-year, $60 million contract that included $30 million guaranteed with Jacksonville (NFLTR), but this explains why there was some confusion about where he was headed at the start of free agency.
- The Jets are reportedly showing interest in Patriots free agent LB Dont’a Hightower and are among the top suitors for him. (NFLTR)
- Rich Cimini of ESPN confirms the news and mentions that if the Jets are able to somehow convince Hightower to leave the Patriots, it would result in the team moving on from long-time LB David Harris.
- According to Mike Reiss, Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski has been at the team’s facility at least four days a week, rehabbing from back surgery.
- Reiss gets the sense that the Patriots decided to move on from TE Martellus Bennett this offseason and get younger at the position, which explains their trade for former Colts TE Dwayne Allen.
- The Patriots reportedly attempted to extend Bennett last offseason to a contract that would have paid him around $7 million for the 2017 season, but Reiss doesn’t believe they discussed contract terms before they made the move to acquire Allen.
- In regards to restricted free agent CB Malcolm Butler, Reiss says that the two parties have a difference of opinion when it comes to his value and a potential contract extension. Reiss believes it would be a “major disappointment” if the Pats trade Butler without exhausting every possibility to retain him.
- Reiss suggests adding three years at $34.5 million ($11.5 million per year) to Butler’s 2017 restricted tender worth $3.91 million and include a signing bonus and it’s possible that this could be enough to get a deal done.
- According to John Keim, at one point he heard that the Redskins may have had some interest in free agent DT Johnathan Hankins, but he isn’t sure where things stand with him right now.
- The Redskins hosted DT Bennie Logan for a visit, but nothing is considered imminent at this point in time. (NFLTR)