Adam Teicher writes that the Chiefs’ decision to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on OLB Justin Houston leaves the door open for the possibility that another team could sign him to an offer sheet that could be hard for Kansas City match.
If the Chiefs declined to match an offer sheet for Houston, they could recoup two first-round picks and shed a big salary from their books.
Teicher believes Houston is a good enough player where the possibility exists that a team could try to pry him away from the Chiefs.
- Mike Wells of ESPN writes that free agent RB DeMarco Murray is “exactly what the Indianapolis Colts need.“
- ESPN’s Dan Graziano mentions that there have been some “rumblings” that the Dolphins could be interested in signing Giants free agent S Antrel Rolle.
- According to Dan Graziano of ESPN, talks between the Giants and CB Walter Thurmond “have gone nowhere,” and he is expected to depart in free agency.
- Regarding free agent S Stevie Brown, Graziano has heard some talk that other teams could be interested in him.
- Graziano mentions that the Giants have had conversations with DT Mike Patterson this offseason, and a deal could get done before free agency opens next week.
- LB Mark Herzlich “feels like a Giant-for-life kind of guy” to Graziano.
- According to Rich Cimini, re-signing RB Bilal Powell is the Jets’ priority over adding a free agent running back like C.J. Spiller.
- Cimini mentions that the Jets will make a “sincere effort” to keep Powell, which could come with a contract similar to Packers RB James Starks‘ two-year, $3.2 million deal.
- The Patriots hired Ray Ventrone as assistant special teams coach.