Home / 49ers / NFL Notes: Draft, Bears, Colts, Giants
NFL Notes: Draft, Bears, Colts, Giants
- According to Matt Miller of B/R, Browns HC Hue Jackson likes UCLA QB Josh Rosen. However, front office sources tell Miller that it may not matter which quarterback Jackson favors next year, as he and his staff are expected to be fired after the season.
- Before the Giants fired HC Ben McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese on Monday, Miller was hearing that USC QB Sam Darnold had a lot of support from New York’s top decision-makers.
- According to Miller, while the 49ers like Penn State RB Saquon Barkley, the more likely scenario for San Francisco is for them to trade back and pick more draft picks much like they did last year.
- The Chicago Bears’ scouting staff is reportedly high on Alabama WR Calvin Ridley, according to Miller.
- Wyoming QB Josh Allen is considered to be one of the top quarterback prospects in next year’s draft class and Miller hears that the Cardinals “love” his potential and athleticism. According to Miller, the same can be said for the Jets.
- On Monday, John Fox was asked if he has been assured he’ll finish out the season as the Bears’ head coach: “I haven’t heard anything one way or the other. I wouldn’t ask. I’m doing everything in our power to put the best product on the field day-to-day, week-to-week. That’s what I can control.” (Rich Campbell)
- Fox said it’s possible they will end up signing a new kicker this week. (Zach Zaidman)
- According to Howard Balzer, the Indianapolis Colts brought in free agent CB David Rivers and TE Jevoni Robinson for tryouts in recent days.
- Giants owner John Mara mentioned during his press conference Monday to announced the firing of HC Ben McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese that he and fellow owner Steve Tisch made the decision this morning as they felt “wholesale changes needed to be made.” (James Kratch)
- According to Mara, interim GM Kevin Abrams can be a GM candidate for the full-time job after the season. (James Kratch)
- Meanwhile, interim HC Steve Spagnuolo will also have the ability to retain the job next year. (James Kratch)
- The Giants’ plan, according to Mara, is to hire a GM first and have Ernie Accorsi consult during the process. (James Kratch)
- In regards to the decision to bench QB Eli Manning, Mara says he deserves blame considering that he ultimately signed off on it, even though he had issues with the decision. (James Kratch)
- Mara said he “certainly” expects WR Odell Beckham Jr to be a part of their future, but added that this will be discussed with their new general manager. (Jordan Raanan)
Tags Ben McAdoo Calvin Ridley David Rivers Eli Manning Hue Jackson Jerry Reese Jevoni Robinson John Fox John Mara Josh Allen Josh Rosen Kevin Abrams Odell Beckham Jr. Sam Darnold Saquon Barkley Steve Spagnuolo Steve Tisch