- ESPN is reporting that the Patriots have scratched Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon from their draft board because of his previous assault incident.
- Western Kentucky C Max Halpin has upcoming private workouts scheduled with the Rams, Ravens and Falcons. (Jenna Laine)
- Lamar CB Brendan Langley worked out privately for the Texans. (Aaron Wilson)
- Bucknell OT Julie’n Davenport has a private workout on Friday with Texans line coach Mike Devlin. (Aaron Wilson)
- Davenport worked out for the Buccaneers, Panthers, Chargers, and Bengals, and will do so for the Texans, Jaguars, Falcons, Raiders, and Cowboys. (Aaron Wilson)
- The Saints, Eagles, and Dolphins are showing interest in Richmond DT Winston Craig. (Aaron Wilson)
- The Broncos and Ravens are showing interest in Penn State S Malik Golden. (Aaron Wilson)
Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said the team must consider drafting a quarterback to sit and learn from veteran QB Phillip Rivers.
“I think we do have to get a young quarterback on campus. We need to start developing someone because we have two veteran quarterbacks, and both of them are long in the tooth. I think they have some good years left in them; don’t get me wrong,” said Lynn, via the Chargers’ official site. “But you have to start thinking about down the line, too…I would love for a young quarterback to get in here and learn from Philip. Philip is the ultimate pro in my opinion. We have a good situation for a young quarterback that doesn’t have to come in and play right now. He can sit, watch and learn.”
Lynn went on to say that Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon is still on the Chargers’ draft board after conducting an hour-long interview with him.
“He’s still on the draft board. It didn’t change much. We just wanted to see where he was at. We know he can play football. He’s one of the best backs in the draft. We just wanted to do our homework, that’s all,” said Lynn, via Eric D. Williams of ESPN.
- Vaughn McClure reports that Falcons RT Ryan Schraeder received medical clearance to resume running after sustaining a torn ligament in his ankle during the Super Bowl.
Panthers HC Ron Rivera mentioned that he believes QB Cam Newton will have to “rebuild his confidence” after what happened last season.
“He’s gonna have to rebuild his confidence. I mean he was shook. Let’s be honest. I’m not going to lie about that,” Rivera said, via NFL.com. “The young man went through a tough time and we went through a tough time. Why? Because of the injuries that we suffered on the offensive line. That was probably was the biggest thing. It just kind of shows you the more of the importance of being able to protect your quarterback.”
- Rivera said of LT Michael Oher: “In talking to Michael and listening to Michael, I think he’s going to play.” (Joe Person)
- Rivera told reporters that he’ll be at RB Leonard Fournette’s Pro Day, as he wants to see him up close. Rivera added that there’s no spot “too high” to take a running back. (Ian Rapoport)
- Rivera said that part of their decision to trade DE Kony Ealy to the Patriots was because they re-signed Mario Addison and there was a looming contract negotiation with Ealy. (Mike Rodak)
- Rivera mentioned he doesn’t know whether they’ll consider free agent RB Adrian Peterson. (Mike Rodak)