NFL Notes: Nick Foles, 49ers, Cowboys & Raiders
- Despite losing out on Nick Foles to the Chiefs, Charles Robinson reports that he needed “extra coddling” and it wore thin with Rams’ coaching staff.
- According to Robinson, Foles’ confidence suffered following mistakes, and he required “a lot of back-patting.”
- Cam Inman believed the 49ers’ quarterback competition ended today and the job and the team are already Blaine Gabbert‘s.
- Inman adds that it clearly doesn’t help that Colin Kaepernick didn’t throw against the Texans, due to a shoulder issue.
- Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports writes that the Cowboys’ backup quarterback position remains a “significant short-term problem” for Dallas.
- One defensive line player worth watching for the Cowboys, according to Robinson, is David Irving, who has “considerable upside.“
- Robinson says that former first-round S Bryon Jones should be a “difference-maker” for the Cowboys this year.
- According to Vic Tafur, second-round DL Jihad Ward “is the real deal.“
- Tafur mentions that backup QB Matt McGloin has thrown a lot of interceptions in training camp up to this point, and his preseason performance could be impacted by his favorite target Brice Butler gone.
- Menelik Watson has been working ahead of Austin Howard at right tackle with Howard still being eased back into the mix, per Tafur.
- In regards to free agent acquisition Kelechi Osemele, Tafur says that nobody loves him with one teammate saying: “We just have to chain him up until opener & then turn him loose.”
- Tafur thinks Oakland was wise to sign CB David Amerson to an extension, considering he has been their most impressive cornerback, including free agent pickup Sean Smith.
Tags Austin Howard Blaine Gabbert Bryon Jones Colin Kaepernick David Amerson David Irving Jihad Ward Kelechi Osemele Matt McGloin Menelik Watson Nick Foles