In regards to the report from Matt Barrows, who mentioned that there is “a lot of talk” about the Panthers trying to trade up No. 2 overall with the 49ers, Matt Miller of B/R says he’s also heard this and believes Carolina would target either Stanford DE Solomon Thomas or RB Leonard Fournette if they moved up
Miller adds that the 49ers could then drop back and select Alabama LB Reuben Foster at No. 8 overall and pick up a second-round pick as part of the team.
- According to Miller, it’s looking more and more likely that the first quarterback won’t be selected until after the top five picks.
- Miller is hearing from sources that the Saints like Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon as a second-round pick. Overall, Miller says he knows of five teams not including the Dolphins or Patriots that don’t have Mixon on their draft boards.
- According to Miller, the Cardinals, 49ers and Browns are all teams to watch in regards to trading back into round one for Cal QB Davis Webb.
- The Cowboys and Texans have been “all over” Ohio DE Tarell Basham, according to Miller.
- A scouting source tells Matt Miller that the 49ers are “in love” with Alabama LB Reuben Foster and LSU RB Leonard Fournette if DE/OLB Myles Garrett isn’t available to them.
- 49ers GM John Lynch is scheduled to attend Texas Tech’s pro day on Friday and get an up-close look at QB prospect Patrick Mahomes. (Matt Maiocco)
- According to Lynch, they are finished adding free agents just yet, and while it’s unlikely they’ll make a big signing, he said they’re hoping to improve “a couple” of spots before the draft. (Matt Maiocco)
- Field Yates reports that Patriots QB Tom Brady receives a $14 million deferred signing bonus payment on Friday. Brady was set to make a base salary of $1 million, but the contract is structured with a number of bonus payments.
- According to Ben Volin, other players who will receive deferred signing bonus payments on Friday include OL Marcus Cannon ($2.5 million), WR Chris Hogan ($1 million), and LB Shea McClellin ($800,000).
- A scouting source tells Matt Miller that the Titans are set on taking Ohio State’s Marshon Lattimore at No. 5 overall.