According to Armando Salguero, Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill did, in fact, suffer damage to his ACL, despite reports that he had no structural damage to his knee.
Salguero says that Tannehill, once again, has a partially torn ACL, but no decision has been made whether he’ll undergo surgery to repair the ligament or move forward with treatment.
Either way, it’s clear that Tannehill will be out an extended period of time now that the Dolphins have signed Jay Cutler to a one-year, $10 million contract. It probably makes the most sense for Tannehill’s long-term future to have him undergo surgery to ensure that it’s properly repaired.
A source previously told Adam Schefter and Jeff Darlington that One Tannehill’s knee was “a ticking time bomb that was going to go off at any time” after he declined to have surgery on his knee during the offseason.
Tannehill suffered a partially torn ACL last year but he and the team declined to have him undergo surgery to repair the ligament. Unfortunately, Tannehill’s knee proved to be unstable as he rolled out of the pocket during Thursday’s practice and some felt that this would likely lead to him undergoing knee surgery.
Tannehill, 29, is a former first-round pick of the Dolphins back in 2012. He’s currently in the third year of his six-year, $95.272 million contract that includes $45 million guaranteed and stands to make a base salary of $17.975 million for the 2017 season.
In 2016, Tannehill appeared in 13 games and thrown for 2,995 yards while completing 67.1 percent to go along with 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 15 out of 36 qualifying players.
We’ll have more regarding Tannehill as the news is available.