Home Colts AFC South Notes: Colts, Texans, Titans
- The Athletic’s Stephen Holder writes that addressing wide receiver will be a priority for the Colts this offseason, including possibly a short extension for WR T.Y. Hilton.
- Holder adds Indianapolis could re-sign WR Devin Funchess given it’s not a strong free-agent class at the position if Cowboys WR Amari Cooper stays in Dallas.
- Holder points out that it’s also a good draft class at wide receiver, with Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb, Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy and Clemson’s Tee Higgins potential first-round options.
- Colts C Ryan Kelly and RB Marlon Mack are two other strong candidates for extensions this offseason, while Indianapolis could wait to see more from S Malik Hooker and LB Anthony Walker. (Kevin Bowen)
- Funchess might not be as keen to re-sign with the Colts, as a big draw in signing with Indianapolis in 2019 was the presence of QB Andrew Luck. (Zak Keefer)
- Indianapolis is also more likely to move on from DE Jabaal Sheard since he’ll be 31 and the Colts want to give younger options more playing time.
- Colts K Adam Vinatieri, S Clayton Geathers, WR Chester Rogers and WR Dontrelle Inman also will likely not return to the team in 2020.
- According to Albert Breer, Josh McDaniels has lined up Colts DBs coach Jonathan Gannon to fill a major role on his coaching staff if he were to leave the Patriots for a head-coaching job.
- According to the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson, the Texans and DT D.J. Reader are nowhere close on a long-term deal and the franchise tag is a possibility for Houston.
- Wilson notes Reader wants to remain in Houston, but could be targeting top-tier money at defensive tackle at around $15-$17 million a year. The franchise tag is $16 million.
- We have him featured in our Top 50 – 2020 Free Agents list.