- Broncos rookie QB Drew Lock tells Troy Renck that his thumb injury is “healing on schedule.” Locked added that he has been throwing a little bit and making “steady progress.”
- Broncos HC Vic Fangio said he hopes that Kareem Jackson will settle at safety, given that he’s a strong tackler in the run game. (Mike Klis)
Chargers RB Melvin Gordon says he’s “motivated” to prove critics wrong after all he heard about during his holdout was about Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott, who had also been holding for a new deal that he eventually got.
“I’m definitely motivated. No one cared that Melvin Gordon was out. It was all about Zeke. And it ain’t no hate. That’s America’s team, but some players on talk shows they care less to talk about it,” Gordon said, via The O.C. Register’s Gilbert Manzano. “You got people in your corner, and they in your corner one second, and the next second, they’re hating on you. You got a lot of people hating on you. The best way to do that is to go shut them up. I remember what everybody said.”
- Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said Friday that RB Austin Ekeler will play “a lot” on Sunday against the Broncos. (Daniel Popper)
- According to Lynn, they plan to limit Melvin Gordon’s workload in his first game back: “I don’t want to put him in there and play him too much, and I really don’t have to. I like what Austin Ekeler has been doing.” (Gilbert Manzano)
- Chargers WR Mike Williams tells Eric Williams that he’s playing on Sunday against the Broncos. Williams mentioned that he didn’t make the flight to Miami last week because he wanted the back spasms to calm down, but he’s good now: “I’m playing. I’m solid.”
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid said Friday that the plan right now is that RB Damien Williams (knee) will play Sunday. (BJ Kissel)
- Chiefs CB Morris Claiborne said he hasn’t been told whether he will play on Sunday against the Colts but he indicated he’s ready if asked. “I feel I could go out and play. I got a lot of reps in this week.’’ (Adam Teicher)
- According to Matt Verderame, Sammy Watkins‘ injury is believed to minor at this point and the belief is that this isn’t a long-term issue. Verderame says it’s still unknown if he can play in Week 5.
- The Kansas City Chiefs officially ruled out T Eric Fisher (groin), WR Tyreek Hill (shoulder), and LB Dorian O’Daniel (hamstring) for Week 5 and list DE Alex Okafor (hip), WR Sammy Watkins (shoulder), and RB Damien Williams (knee) as questionable.
Ian Rapoport reports that the NFL has informed Raiders LB Vontaze Burfict in a letter this week that it found another helmet-to-helmet hit from the same game against the Colts that they are including as part of their case for a season-long suspension.