Broncos GM John Elway chimed in with the chorus of people asking for more out of Broncos OT Garett Bolles. Bolles picked up four more holding penalties in Sunday’s game, moving his total since he was drafted to 26 holding penalties. Elway said the penalties are killing the offense and “It’s gotta stop. Period.”
“The bottom line is if he thinks he’s getting singled out, he is,” Elway said via KOA Colorado’s Ryan Edwards. “He’s gotta understand that. He’s gotta understand what he’s doing and, that was my question yesterday, ‘Does he know what holding is?’ Does he know what he can and cannot do? If he thinks he’s getting targeted, he’s gotta realize he isn’t. We’ll keep working for it and he’s still a talented guy. He’s in a situation we can’t afford that and, even though three out of the four holding calls he got were on running plays, which are just as important. Hopefully, with an explanation and a better understanding by him of what it is they are looking for…he cannot do that because it is beating us.”
- Per ESPN’s Eric Williams, Chargers RB Melvin Gordon said in a chat with his Instagram followers Tuesday he is “going to play somewhere” this season. Gordon added “it would be a waste of talent” if he sat an entire year.
- Chargers signed TE Lance Kendricks. (NFLTR)
- Chargers signed WR Andre Patton to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Chargers released TE Matt Sokol from their practice squad.
Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman ran a blazing-fast 4.33 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, which is one of the reasons Kansas City traded up to take him in the second round of the draft. While the rookie had to be reminded on Sunday to play as fast as his time, things eventually clicked as Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes found him deep for a touchdown pass in the second quarter.
“I think it was just him finding the speed of the game,” Mahomes said via Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star. “He’s still a young guy, and it’s just his second game in the league. He realized that he has to be fast with his cuts. He kinda tried to sell it a little bit more with a nod, and he was open, but it was late, and the pressure was there. So I just told him, you have to speed it up. You have to play with that speed; use your speed. You saw him the rest of the game — he sped it up and made big plays for us.”
- According to ESPN’s Adam Teicher, Chiefs LT Eric Fisher will have core muscle surgery and miss Sunday’s game against the Ravens.
- The Chiefs have had discussions with the Jaguars for CB Jalen Ramsey, but compensation and salary considerations have so far prevented the deal, per Yahoo Sports’ Terez Paylor.
- Chiefs signed DT Joe Ivie to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Regarding the possibility of the Raiders trading for Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey, Vic Tafur of The Athletic writes that Oakland can convert the guaranteed money voided by Antonio Brown toward a long-term deal for Ramsey.
- Tafur could see the Raiders pairing a 2020 first-round pick and CB Gareon Conley in a trade offer for Ramsey.
- Given the Raiders are set to have $85 million in available cap space next offseason, Tafur believes trading for Ramsey should be “almost a no-brainer” for Oakland.
- According to Tafur, Dolphins CB Xavien Howard‘s five-year, $75.25 million deal with $46 million guaranteed is the base for Ramsey’s possible extension.
- According to Jerry McDonald, the Raiders providing “upfront cash” to Ramsey is one of their obstacles in acquiring him.