Bengals Keeping No. 1 Pick Despite Trade Inquiries

     

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that despite receiving trade inquiries for the No. 1 overall pick, the Bengals won’t trade out and will use the pick.

 

Earlier in the day, one report said the Dolphins were considering the possibility of trading up to No. 3 overall and comping that pick with the No. 5 overall to make the Bengals a “godfather” offer for the top pick. 

However, all indications have been that Cincinnati is locked into taking LSU QB Joe Burrow, so this shouldn’t come as a big surprise. 

There was some speculation that Burrow might not want to play for the Bengals organization but he put that rumor to bed at the NFL Scouting Combine. 

“I’m not going to not play. I’m a ballplayer. I’m going to show up,” Burrow said via Adam Schefter.

Burrow added he was just trying not to be “presumptuous” about being the No. 1 overall pick by not dousing the rumors sooner (Adam Beasley), but the media “kind of took that narrative and ran with it.”

“There has never been anything like that from my end,” Burrow said via Paul Dehner Jr.

Not that it was ever in any doubt, but this should just about officially end all suspense regarding Burrow being the No. 1 pick by the Bengals Thursday. 

Burrow, 23, transferred to LSU to become the starter after three years at Ohio State. He had one of the best seasons for a quarterback in college football history in 2019, winning the Heisman, leading LSU to a national championship and cementing himself as a favorite for the first pick in the draft. 

In 2019, Burrow completed 76.3 percent of his passes for 5,671 yards, 60 touchdowns and six interceptions in 15 games. He also ran 115 times for 368 yards and an additional five touchdowns. 

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments