- NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo says with it being clear that QB Mitchell Trubisky is going to be moving on from the Bears, his best fit for his next team would likely be with a team that takes advantage of athletic quarterbacks and minimizes their workload in the passing game, like the Kyle Shanahan–Sean McVay–Matt LaFleur offense.
- Per Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Inquirer, former NFL GM Joe Banner says the circumstances of the Eagles’ quarterback situation, roster and cap situation will play a major role for head coaching candidates despite what owner Jeffrey Lurie said.
- Said Banner: “If you put yourself in the mindset of the applicant and look at the situations out there that they’d be comparing them to right now, they’re not going to be considered one of the top jobs at this point.”
- Banner added the reports of drama between former HC Doug Pederson and the front office over Pederson’s staffing decisions will also be a red flag for prospective candidates, as any coach would want control over their staff.
The Rams’ season may have ended on Saturday following a 32-18 loss to the Packers. But a bright spot for the team as they turn toward 2021 is the play of RB Cam Akers. The second-round pick started this year slow but played his best football at the end of the season, including rushing for 90 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries against the Packers.
“The more that you can have the ball in Cam Akers’ hands, we’re in a good position,” Rams HC Sean McVay said via the Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue. “This guy is going to be a big-time player. He got more and more confidence as the season went. I have tremendous confidence in him, and I think [RB coach] Thomas Brown did such a great job of being able to help him continue to mature through the season. I think this guy has an unbelievably bright future.”
- McVay gave an interesting answer when asked about QB Jared Goff, who showed impressive toughness the past few weeks to gut out his thumb injury but also turned the ball over too much at times: “Yes, he’s the quarterback right now.” (Eric Williams)
- McVay followed up on these comments about Goff on Sunday by saying: “I’m evaluating everything we do, and that includes the QB position…that’s not exclusive to the QB position.” McVay added: ”I’m not ready to make any sort of statements with regards to any starting position.” (Jourdan Rodrigue)